Job Title: Store Manager
Department: DGR – Store
Reports to: Area Sales Manager/District Sales Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
|To help people achieve their full potential through the dignity and power of work. The sale of donated and new goods at Goodwill stores enables the agency to offer a variety of employment and training services, promote self-sufficiency, and contribute to community conservation through repurposing, reusing, and recycling.|
The Store Manager is responsible for the overall day-to-day store operations under the leadership of Area Sales Manager or District Sales Manager. Responsible for performing assigned duties and making all store decisions within the framework our Mission, Vision, Values, Team Member Handbook, Guiding Principles, SOP, Reference Guides, and GoodwillU Houston.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the efficient and cost-effective operation and stewardship of the Goodwill store to maximize profitability and increase training opportunities.
- Responsible for hiring, training, supervising, development and evaluating team members within the framework of Goodwill policies and procedures and job descriptions.
- Reviews and contributes to store budget, operating the store within budgeted expense to revenue ratios.
- Responsible for good stewardship of all donations through proper handling and processing of incoming donation flow in and out of the store in accordance with Agency policies and procedures including the River Flow Chart.
- Collaborate with other support departments (Human Resources, Loss Prevention, Operations, PR & Marketing, Workforce Development, Accounting/Finance, and IT) to ensure efficiency of operations and improve performance.
- Scheduling of labor and preparation of time cards/sheets. Responsible for the review and approval of time sheets.
- Responsible for loss prevention and safety, security and overall image of the store.
- Keep abreast of product knowledge, industry trends, and competitive pricing through comparative shopping of competitors (e.g. full or discount retail, consignment, and second-hand thrift).
- Ensure statistical counts (i.e. donor counts, apparel hung, etc.) are completed in an accurate and timely manner. Complete register pulls, readings, cash reports, daily activity reports, transmittal of reports and daily deposits in accordance with Goodwill’s policies and procedures.
- Perform and manage duties of Sorter, Tagger-Hanger, Sales Floor Attendant, Cashier, Donation Attendant, and Pricer as outlined in the Reference Guides.
- Perform necessary janitorial work as assigned.
- Ability to multi-task, make quick decisions and work in a team oriented, fast paced environment.
- Must have punctual and dependable attendance.
- Demonstrate professionalism and present a friendly, cooperative attitude to the general public and associates at all times.
- Conduct self in safe manner; keep processing area neat, clean and maintain good housekeeping standards to have aisleways and fire exits clear.
- Commits to oversee Goodwill’s compliance to local, federal, and state laws and regulations.
- Adherence to all Goodwill policies and procedures.
- Provide oversight to our volunteer groups in the store.
- Willing and able to travel within the Goodwill Houston territory and work days, evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of two years of management/supervisory experience in retail sales management preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Prefer a background in retail sales with experience in merchandising, display, layout and customer service.
- Ability to read, write and communicate with customers, vendors, and other team members in a professional manner.
- Able to perform basic math functions, including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Must have excellent computer skills and be proficient in using the Internet.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
Physical requirements include the ability to stand, twist, bend, squat, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, push and pull. Must be able to lift-up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds (common items include, bags of clothes/miscellaneous items, televisions, computers, sofas, kitchen appliances, bicycles, furniture, and bedroom sets). Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
Balanced Scorecard/Key Performance Indicators for Store Manager:
|1. Mission Integration||9. Units Produced||17. Transaction Value|
|2. GoodwillU Houston Modules Completed||10. Units Rotated Out||18. Transactions|
|3. Turnover %||11. Units Sold||19. Sales/Labor Hours|
|4. Advancements||12. Donor Engagement||20. Wage Expense/Revenue|
|5. Team Member Engagement||13. Shopper Engagement||21. Net Profit|
|6. Observation Checklist||14. Loss Prevention Culture||22. Donor Value|
|7. Process Checklist||15. Safety Culture||23. Labor Hours/Donor|
|8. Quarterly Assessment||16. Sales|
Update and submit resume to CWilliams@goodwillhouston.org