Goodwill Industries of Houston is seeking an Employment Specialist to serve in the Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program (HVRP). The Employment Specialist will be responsible for the development of competitive and/or supported jobs for individuals who have disabilities or other barriers to employment. The Employment Specialist will counsel, train and prepare clients of Goodwill Houston’s programs and services for job search and employment. Builds and maintains positive, productive relationships with a broad spectrum of governmental, social service agencies and businesses to assure Goodwill Houston is top of mind for employment opportunities for clients of Goodwill’s programs and services.
Location: Position will be at the San Jacinto Job Connection Center (3121 San Jacinto St, Houston, TX 77004).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cultivates relationships with employers to find viable job opportunities for persons with disabilities or other barriers to employment. Educates employers about disabilities or other barriers to employment.
- Perform Work Assessments and Evaluations, conduct Job Readiness and Soft-Skills Training, and provide Job Placement and Job Retention services. Makes referrals for occupation skills training as necessary.
- Organizes and conducts weekly Job Club meetings, schedules facilitation by Business Advisory Council members and appropriate Goodwill Staff or friends of Goodwill Houston on at least a monthly basis.
- Accompany clients to job interviews and related job search activities and events. Assist with filling out job applications as necessary.
- Provide on‑site training, supervision and support to persons with disabilities who have been placed in employment situations in the community.
- May be required to assist in orienting clients to the host employer’s policies, standards and procedures and perform time and motion studies (or task analyses) in order to assist clients in achieving performance standards and retaining employment.
- Provide job coaching as needed.
- Participate in staffing meetings to discuss, evaluate and recommend learning and job placement strategies for all clients. Maintain appropriate agency documentation. Provide client Case Management support as necessary
- Responsible for community outreach both in the private and public sector. Assist in developing agency partnerships, MOUs and private sector support to assist in fulfilling Goodwill’s mission.
- Responsible for the equal opportunity employment efforts and results, and must take action to prevent harassment of employees and clients.
- Ensure compliance with all Goodwill Houston policies, procedures and safety standards throughout work areas and maintain same to meet all state and local regulatory standards.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Managers
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Bachelor’s Degree in Rehabilitation, Psychology, Sociology or related field preferred.
Experience: One to three years in vocational counseling, job development and placement. Three or more years experience may replace education requirement.
Requirement: Minimum of 2 years experience working directly & interacting with clients on a daily basis. A Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required.
Preference: Veterans Preferred but not required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the Essential Duties and Responsibilities.
Interested candidates should email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org