Job Title: Employment Specialist (Heights Job Connection Center)
Department: Workforce Development (WFD)
Reports to: Program Manager of Heights Job Connection Center
FLSA Status: Exempt – Full time
To help people achieve their full potential through the dignity and power of work. The Employment Specialist works with workforce members in the community to help create a positive, effective, and consistent corporate culture, that focus on training, education and employment services
The Employment Specialist at Goodwill Industries of Houston will be responsible for the development of competitive and/or supported jobs for individuals who have disabilities or other barriers to employment. The Employment Specialist will counsel, train and prepare clients and students of Goodwill Houston’s programs and services for job search and employment. Builds and maintains positive, productive relationships with a broad spectrum of governmental, social service agencies and businesses to assure Goodwill Houston is top of mind for employment opportunities for clients and students of Goodwill’s programs and services.
Case Management/ Career Navigation:
- Cultivates relationships with employers to find viable job opportunities for persons with disabilities or other barriers to employment. Educates employers about disabilities or other barriers to employment.
- Perform Work Assessments and Evaluations, conduct Job Readiness and Soft-Skills Training, and provide Job Placement and Job Retention services. Makes referrals for occupation skills training as necessary.
- Organizes and conducts weekly Job Club meetings, schedules facilitation by Business Advisory Council members and appropriate Goodwill Staff or friends of Goodwill Houston on at least a monthly basis.
- Accompany clients to job interviews and related job search activities and events. Assist with filling out job applications as necessary.
- Provide on‑site training, supervision and support to persons with disabilities who have been placed in employment situations in the community.
- May be required to assist in orienting clients to the host employer’s policies, standards and procedures and perform time and motion studies (or task analyses) in order to assist clients in achieving performance standards and retaining employment.
- Provide job coaching as needed.
- Participate in staffing meetings to discuss, evaluate and recommend learning and job placement strategies for all clients. Maintain appropriate agency documentation. Provide client Case Management support as necessary.
- Responsible for community outreach both in the private and public sector. Assist in developing agency partnerships, MOUs and private sector support to assist in fulfilling Goodwill’s mission.
- Responsible for the equal opportunity employment efforts and results, and must take action to prevent harassment of employees and clients.
- Ensure compliance with all Goodwill Houston policies, procedures and safety standards throughout work areas and maintain same to meet all state and local regulatory standards.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Managers.
- Track all job development activities, workshops, classes, internships and all case management activities in multiple databases (Case Worthy, Change Machine)
- Ensures data accuracy in databases for assessments, enrollments, case-management services, 30, 60, 90, 180, 270, and 365-day follow up, referrals, Individual Development Plan (IDP) and career pathway training updates.
- Build and maintain participant’s case files.
- Submit all required and/or requested documentation/ reports/paperwork by assigned due dates.
- Build relationships with appropriate departments and staff to enhance the job readiness/training.
- Document experience of each participant and facilitate progress towards completion of training and successful employment and financial goals.
- Support other workforce development activities to include the completion of workbooks (new and updates on existing books), conducting job readiness classes, conduct financial and digital literacy classes, and coordinate referrals to virtual financial coaching using the Change Machine platform.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Rehabilitation, Psychology, Sociology or related field preferred.
- One to three years in vocational counseling, job development and placement. Three or more years of experience may replace education requirement.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Balanced Scorecard/Key Performance Indicators:
- Recruit and enroll 100 workforce members within 12 months program period.
- Meet program participant training and employment outcomes.
- Place 60 workforce members in competitive employment within a 12 month program period.
- Capture 4 new employer relationships monthly using employer profiler.
- Work towards overall grant strategic plan goals.
Applicants, please send updated resumes to Tracy Sandles at TSandles@goodwillhouston.org