CDL Driver – Transportation Department
Goodwill Industries of Houston is seeking CDL drivers to support the operations and transportation departments. CDL Drivers operate Goodwill vehicles to distribute goods to retail sites, make pickups and deliveries as directed, and complete daily routes as assigned by supervisor.
- Deliver/pick up merchandise to/from Goodwill stores and other location.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts and weekends.
- Complete daily route as assigned by supervisor.
- Inspects vehicle prior to leaving yard; fill out daily inspection forms; report all defects to dispatcher and/or supervisor.
- Report all property damage immediately and complete written accident report; proceed as instructed by dispatcher.
- Load/unload merchandise/checkout/salvage from trucks as needed.
- Demonstrates professionalism at all times and presents a friendly, cooperative attitude to the general public and staff at all times.
- Maintain radio contact with supervisor to receive routing or other instructions.
- Use safe driving practices when operating Goodwill vehicles.
- Transports merchandise in a safe, efficient manner.
- Transport and exchange trailers as needed.
- Direct and instruct truck helpers.
- Adherence to all Goodwill policies and procedures.
- Conduct self in a safe manner; report all injuries immediately.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to multi-task, make quick decisions and work in a team oriented, fast paced environment.
- Must have punctual and dependable attendance.
- Successfully complete job specific checklist within 90 days of employment.
- Assist with the security and safety of company employees and property.
- Free from alcohol and drugs.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- One year driving experience preferred.
- Must have a valid class A or B CDL.
- Must pass a MVR.
- Must pass a drug and alcohol test.
- Must undergo and pass a road test.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English.
- Good communication skills and ability to communicate and cooperate with the public and department staff at all times.
- Must have reliable transportation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands/work environment conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include the ability to twist, bend, squat, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, push and pull. The employee must be able to lift up to 60 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds (common items include, but are not limited to bags of clothes/miscellaneous items, televisions, computers, sofas, kitchen appliances, bicycles and bedroom sets). Must possess the ability to get in/out of, drive and sit in heavy-duty trucks for periods of up to one hour. Job requires frequent communication and specific vision abilities are required by this job including close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment includes regular exposure to outdoor temperatures. Team member may be exposed to dust and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
EQUIPMENT, MACHINES, AND TOOLS USED:
Tractor-trailer, bobtail trucks, safety belt and gloves, metal clothes racks, pallets, pallet jack, dollie, totes, safety glasses(if needed).
Employee understands he/she may be transferred to another location at any time at the discretion of the Director of Commercial Operations and/or Transportation Supervisor.
Interested candidates should email a resume or fill out an application and return to Fred Darden: F_Darden@goodwillhouston.org